6/22/10

The only thing I ask of you is to promise not to stop when I say 'when'.

June 21st 2010 Los Angeles

Dear Emmi,

Im two months from coming home. I looked at the split images you posted and loved them. Sometimes I feel like my life has been divided into little corners like that.

A piece of London; Everyone smokes. They roll their own cigarettes. The toilet in the bar doesn't have a rim on it so the beer loving crowds can't sniff cocaine from it. The park. The cheap wine. Art and culture will consume you. We all came there and knew no one.


A piece of Helsinki; I was born. I grew up. I lost teeth. The sun is either always up or always down. It's not ok to cry. My family is there. When I go home I sit on the kitchen floor in the middle of the night, with a dog that found a new home and we eat sandwiches together.

I love coming back but I know I will never stay.
I used to never want to buy furniture. Nothing to slow down the leaving. My desk is made of shoe boxes. Shoes could never slow you down.
(Ok except that one time in London when I was on my way to Spitalfields, it was raining and I was wearing a pair of pony skin Louboutins that have leather soles and a pencil skirt. Slippery I tell you. )
Its strange how much happens when you are busy minding your own business and the world whoops around the sun. I counted days for awhile to make it go slower but now it just seems like an unnecessary countdown to leaving a bunch of people you like so much you want them at your wedding.

So the Piece of LA? I feel like I am still too close to see the big picture here, but It's definitely made out of faces of friends I hope I never loose. I have decided that my next project is to photograph them.

I will show you the faces of the people who took me in and made this year feel like home.


A few things I know for sure: I love Venice, nothing beats the weather here and in 60 days I will have a new split piece in my memories and one huge chunk braking from my heart.

With love, as always: Diana and I.

2 comments:

  1. "Shoes could never slow you down.
    (Ok except that one time in London when I was on my way to Spitalfields, it was raining and I was wearing a pair of pony skin Louboutins that have leather soles and a pencil skirt. Slippery I tell you. )" <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you could live in London and NOT expect it to rain, or expect it but wear the pretty outfit anyway =) I so need to talk to you.x
    Anna

    ReplyDelete