7/27/11

Disposable Camera and a Moment Of Silence.

27.07.2011 East London

Dear Emmi,

I found an old disposable camera, that I bought in Paris almost 3 years ago in a Lomo store. I took it with me to L.A and finally, some time ago I got it developed in Helsinki and will now send you the pictures from London.



Santa Monica.

The yellow car that got totalled as a result of an elderly man crashing he's car into mine while I was parking.

Visitor.

One of my favourite things about L.A is the huge ramps and freeway constructions. I always wanted to go and take pictures of them, but this and maybe like two other random shots I posted ages ago, ended up being the only ones I ever took.




Marina Del Rey.


It's a squirrel. A fat, agressive, pestering squirrel. After I tok this picture it chased me inside. (our apartment is right behind me)

Orange County.


Japanese food market.


I also have something to say. I've been absolutely heart broken over the horrendous events of Norway. I've read all the reports and watched videos on the BBC website and cried. Literally every time they start talking about it, I burst into tears.

I've spoken to a few of my friends and they had no idea what I was talking about. Somehow they failed to hear about the massacre of almost a 100 civilians.

Amy Winehouse died. Naturally it is always sad when a young person passes away. However I find it a little bit irritating when Amy Winehouse is on the cover of the NY Post - the massacre in Norway is on page 8.

Why do people fail to feel the pain of hundreds of lives destroyed, but so easily mourn the death of one drug abusing, musically talented alcoholic.


I've read that in a kidnapping situation the changes of survival increases, if the victim tries to engage in small talk with the kidnappers and therefore becomes "human" not a "thing" to the kidnappers. (Yes I read how to survive a kidnapping situation on my spear time, thank you very much. YOU NEVE KNOW, OK)

So I guess that's it. Through media, people were engaging with Amy. She'd walk around shit faced, close by to where I live. In fact I had dinner right around her house on Sunday. People saw that happen. Literally every week. Papers, Tweets, Internet stuffed with up and close information on whatever she was doing.

When she died, it was easier to relate to. People wanted to know what happened and wanted to talk about it.

When Adrian Pracon, 21 years old, was running away from Anders Behring Brevik, who was chasing him down like game with a semi automatic machine gun, he got hit by a bullet to his shoulder. He fell and laid on the ground pretending to be dead to save his own life, while bodies of people he was friends with piled on top of him.

I've never seen a dead person. None of my friends have ever died. I've never seen Andreas or Adrian or a semi automatic machine gun. Not. Relatable.

Still we need to care. We don't have to care less about Amy but we must care more about other things. Why are the papers letting a celebrity death over shadow an event that has brought an entire nation to tears?
-Because we let them to. It sells. Media is serving us what we are interested in.

I don't need a minute of silence to the death of Tore Eikeland, 21 or Trond Berntsen, 51, an off-duty police officer who pushed his son to safety before he confronted Breivik and was gunned down.
But I need people around me to care. Please look at these pictures. Take a second to feel for them. Maybe share it on Facebook, not instead of posting about something that's not grim and heart braking, but in addition to.

If we would just all get a little bit closer to each other, I think it would be better.


‎"We must show that our open society can pass this test too. That the answer to violence is even more democracy. Even more humanity. But never naivety."

With Love, Kirsikka.


1 comment: